Sunday, May 17, 2009

Farewell London...

So, since I have only 2 days left in the UK, I thought I would share some of the new things I have learned in my months here, thanks to my international work environment...

1) The following items are expensive to buy at the grocery store:

- Cheese
- Meat
- Coke
- Cereal – but I am totally infatuated with one called “Crunchy Nut” and I’m already researching how I can get it in the States
- Strawberries
- Bagels (if you convert it is 3 dollars for four bagels!!!!)

2) The following items are cheap to buy at the grocery store:eggsbread (not the fancy stuff)

- milk
- sliced ham
- pasta
- tomato sauce
- yogurt
- bananas

3) If you are American living in Britain…never say the following words (people will laugh at how you say them)

- leisure
- garage
- tomato
- cell phone
- pants (they think you are talking about underwear)
- Zebra
- Yogurt

4) American word = British Word (so many times I have starred at people blankly without knowing what they were saying because of the following words or visa versa)

- White Out = Tipex
- Scotch Tape = Cello Tape
- Umbrella = Brolly
- Rain coat = Mac
- Bowling pin = skittle
- TV = Tele
- Kool aid type drink = Squash
- Mail = Post
- Vodka and Red Bull = Voddy Red
- Toilet Paper = Bog roll
- Hello, how are you/What’s up? = Hiya! Are you alright?
- Thank you dude = Cheers mate
- Vacation = Holls
- Green onion = spring onion
- Egg Plant = Aubergine
- Garbage = Rubbish
- Trash Can = Bin
- Gas = Petrol (they think its hilarious when you say gas)
- Hood of a car = bonnet
- Trunk of a car = boot
- Popsicle = ice lolly
- Dish soap = washing up liquid
- Laundry detergent = washing powder
- Dinner = some people call it tea
- Garbage bag = Bin liner
- Hot chocolate = drinking chocolate
- Flash Drive = Donghol
- Cookies/Crackers = Biscuits
- Cup of tea = Cupa
- Canuck = Canadian
- POM = Prisoner of Her Majesty (slang for English person like Kiwi or Ausie)
- Fringe = Bangs


I can hardly believe that my time here is almost over... my how time flies. My last weekend in here in London has been loads of fun and a great chance to relax. Friday was spent mostly making reservations and doing research for my Europe trip before heading out for a night on the town with everyone from Let Me Play. Matt and Amy, company directors, were so generous in treating us all to indian food (which I have discoverd is my new favorite cuisine so if anyone knows of any authentic places in Cali to get it, please let me know), a comedy show, and an after party at a swanky spot in Soho. It was by far, my most memorable, most fun, and most drama free night out in Europe so far!! I'm really going to miss them all very much....


In a new development, my mom is flying in tomorrow to join me for 2 weeks of traveling. It seems that since my brother Grant has become independently mobile (he just got his motorcycle liscense and turns 16 next week), she is feeling a profound sense of freedom and is gifting herself with a trip back to Europe. I'm really excited to share some of my adventure with her. It will be really nice to have someone else along. One thing that we are both looking so forward to is the French Open, where we have tickets for 2 whole days!! But first things first, we are catching a plane to Santorini Greece on thursday. I can hardly believe that after 8 years of dreaming, I'm finally going to see the white-washed houses and the stuning Caldera...I hope I have enough memory cards. Then it's off to Paris for 5 days, then Venice for 3. Mom will fly back home from there to be back in time for my cousin's high school graduation and I will make my way to Barcelona for 4 days to finish of my journey.

Not a day has gone by that I havn't been incredibly grateful for the opportunity to be here. I've learned a lot, grown a lot, and simply lived a lot. And I am so thankful. But even with only 3 weeks left, there is still much fun to be had so stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment