Thursday, June 4, 2009

Ah, Paris…we meet again.

It’s been a very long day. It started with the midnight ferry from Santorini to Athens, then an hour long bus to the Airport, then a 3 hour flight to Paris, a 30 minute bus ride, and then about 2 hours of aimless wandering. This is the second time that I have been so mad at French people’s directions that I could scream. The taxi’s wouldn’t take us because the think it’s too close, but an hour later, still no hotel!

This trip has had one major setback. Unfortunately, my mom’s sudden onset of a deep chest cold the day she left Mammoth, has put a damper on things. Anyone who really knows me, and I am the first to admit this, knows that I am not the most gracious or pleasant person when I’m sick. I fought it off for a while but finally succumbed on our last night in Greece. This has made for nights awake with hacking attacks and days exhausted and feverish, not good.

The entire reason for including Paris in this trip was Roland Garros, The French Open. I have become quite the tennis enthusiast in the last few years and going to a grand slam event was something I could not pass up. We had tickets for 2 days there. The first day included some great double matches, and an up close encounter with Andy Roddick. Mom and I got seats 3 rows from the court behind the player’s chairs. We could hear how he loudly exhales every time the other player hits the ball and when he hits it, it really annoyed me actually. Grant even told me that he saw half of my face and mom’s hair on sports center that night. It was a great match.

The second day, was slightly less exciting for me since all the best matches were being played in the center courts that our tickets didn’t have access too. However, the day was redeemed when I got a seat on the floor directly behind the Williams Sisters for their 3 round doubles match. I could hear them talking. There was drama on the court because Venus had lost earlier that day to one of the girls on the other team, but they proved that they work so well as a team and won in 3 sets. Sadly, no close encounters with Rafa this time….

The rest of our time in Paris has been spent walking. Our hotel was right in the middle of town so we were able to see most things by foot; The Eiffel Tower, the Notre Dame, Luxemburg Garden…etc. We also took a river boat tour on the Seine which was a beautiful way to see the city.

It’s been fun watching my mom. She is so happy to be back in France, although her heart really longs to go back to the country; the Loire Valley, Provance, and Canne where she lived 35 years ago. Her French is coming back slowly which is a huge help since my Spanish does nothing here. She gets excited about everything and can’t help but tell many stories about her own memories and adventures. Now we are on to Venice…yum gelato and bellini!!


http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/album.php?aid=264953&id=501285626

No comments:

Post a Comment