Friday, June 5, 2009

Barca

Let me start by saying, Thank you Jesus for getting me to Barcelona and keeping me safe. Barcelona is an incredible city, but every person I talk to ends up giving me advice on how to not get robbed or worse. No worries though…I’m a smart traveler

My digs here in Barca are unlike any I’ve been in yet. This is a real hostel. I’m in a room with 11 other girls, 9 of whom are all friends here on holiday and determined to have a big night, every night. Thankfully, they have been pretty quite coming home so far. I’m the one who is feeling guilty as I am still up coughing much of the night. I’ve been trying to stifle the noise in my pillow as much as possible, while being careful not to suffocate myself in the process. There is a great common room with FREE, unlimited internet access, something I have gone without for far too long! And the staff here is really great, helpful and friendly.

Yesterday I went exploring. Took a long walk down Las Ramblas, the main drag, and saw all sorts of things. The things they sell here made me laugh; anyone want to buy a chipmunk?? Or maybe a giant dragon costume would be more to your liking? Then I came across “El Marceta de Boqueria;” what can only be describes as a fruit lover’s (me) dream. I was surrounded by the most vibrant and exotic array of fruit I’ve ever seen. I couldn’t decide what to have first. After some serious consideration, I settled on a strawberry, kiwi, and mango plate; it was fabulous.

I continued my walk down to the harbor and ended up at the aquarium. I gawked at the funky fish and huge sharks for while in the much appreciated air conditioning. Then I did something I’ve tried very hard not to for the last 3 months; went to Starbucks for an iced Vanilla Latte and it was delicious. I spent the rest of the afternoon doing in laundry and catching up on all things viral at the hostel.

Today I planned on venturing to the beach, but alas, it’s been pouring rain all day. Determined to make this day count, I decided to do as much touristy things as I could. I started by climbing the HUGE hill to Parc Guell where there is a lookout over the whole city of Barcelona. It’s too bad it wasn’t a better day, the view was amazing. Then I followed the paths to the Gaudi Park. Gaudi’s artistic influence is visible all over the city, but particularly at this park. There are interesting monuments and mosaics everywhere.

Then I made my way to the main cathedral which is under construction and not very appealing at the moment. Not to mention, the torrential downpour that ensued just as I left the metro, ugh. I came back the hostel for dinner and just in time to watch Roger Federer power his way into the Roland Garros final. I watched with a German, and 2 Spaniards; it was really fun.

Tonight I went to the “Magic Fountain;” a water show that puts the one at the Bellagio in Vegas to complete shame!! It was so so so cool. On the weekends they have a pretty much continuously starting at 9:30, so I just went and sat for over an hour. The fountain is set to great music and incredible lighting schemes. I’m really glad I went.

Tomorrow is my last day here and I’m going to try the beach again. Only 3 more sleeps til I’m home in the States…wierd


http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=265428&id=501285626


http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=265436&id=501285626

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for entertaining me for a while with these blogs. Your writing is really relaxing even though that sounds weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stories Hannah. I want to print these all out so that I can remember what we did this time! I'm up at 4:00am trying to get re-adjusted to CA time. Have a safe and uneventful trip back home. Much Love, me

    ReplyDelete